Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A woman with hair's thoughts on not having hair- subject to change.

"They" say nothing is sure in life besides death and taxes. Well, some things related to A/C chemo are sure and that is hair loss. I had Alopecia once in my early twenties due to stress that left me with quarter and dime sized bald patches. It's funny to think, now, about how upset it made me that I had little bald spots. 

I think the funniest realization I've had thus far is that I wont have any nose hair. One friend said I was going to inhale glitter without any nose hair to filter it and now I was going to get glitter lung cancer and am totally fucked. I've told this to so many people, I don't think I'll ever forget that she said that. 

The reason it made me so happy is because it was an example of a friend not taking this so seriously with me. I did go out and get a couple ridiculous wigs. I will probably have my head henna'd, maybe even tattooed. But I just don't think I'm going to bother with wigs and fake eyebrows (except hilarious craft fur ones made by Kris Anne!), and fake eyelashes and mirkins. Maybe every now and again for fun but not every day.

It may be difficult for people, namely strangers, to see a woman walking around with no facial hair, but why? Why can't it just be okay not to have eyebrows!? Who said eyebrows are a necessary part of feeling good about yourself? 

None of this should come as any surprise. Most of my friends know how deeply I loathe societal norms. So if you see me, sans hair, please don't feel bad. I am totally okay with this.

xoxo, Ry

2 comments:

  1. So, Sarah Kramer has been told "no wigs." Why would that be? I wish I could knit, because I'd make you some cute hats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I have no idea why she would be told no wigs. Maybe she has an allergy to something!

    ReplyDelete